We are delighted to see Spencer Wilton back on top form with the wonderful Super Nova (De Niro x Weltmeyer), with their stunning comeback to international competition at Lier with a fantastic win at the CDI4* in Belgium (26 February – 1 March 2020) – among a a range of great results for British riders!
Spencer Wilton and Super Nova who was bred by the legendary Mrs Kirby and who is owned by Jen Goodman won both the Grand Prix and Special on scores of 75.761% and 76.809% respectively. Previously, the duo’s last international appearance had been at the 2018 World Equestrian Games. Can this highly convincing performance mean that a second Olympic start is on the cards for this great partnership?
While Spencer was recovering from spinal surgery following a ruptured disc, “Neville” had an easy time, being hacked by Claire Hinton until Spencer was sufficiently recovered to take up the reins once again. The break has clearly not done the 17yo gelding any harm, as he appears stronger and more confident in his work than ever.
Spencer Wilton and Supernova II, photo by Eva-Maria Broomer
Spencer was followed in both the Grand Prix and Special by his countryman Sonnar Murray-Brown with his 13 year old Trakehner gelding, Erlentanz (Latimer x Benz). Sonnar and ‘Erly’ create a great picture together and confidently delivered two assured, expressive and harmonious tests for plus 74% in both the Grand Prix and Special, building on their percentage scores in Le Mans a fortnight ago where they won the Grand Prix.
Gareth Hughes enjoyed a super CDI with Claudine Kroll’s talented yet inexperienced KK Woodstock (Wolkentanz II x Landioso), this combination another to build on the scores they achieved in Le Mans. A Grand Prix of 72.891% for fourth was followed by a podium place in the Special with a fantastic 73.085% whilst Tom Goode and Dior (Gribaldi x Goodtimes) followed a promising 69.435% Grand Prix with a Freestyle personal best of 75.410% to finish just outside top three.
Emile Faurie rode the still green but immensely talented stallion Quentano II (Quaterback x Dartagnan), to an eighth place in the Grand Prix Special with 70.3%.
Results: top-five and British riders
1. Spencer Wilton and Super Nova II, 75.761% (GBR)
2. Sonnar Murray-Brown and Erlentanz, 74.174% (GBR)
3. Adelinde Cornelissen and Aqiedo, 73.000% (NED
4. Gareth Hughes and KK Woodstock, 72.891% (GBR)
5. Marlies van Baalen and Ben Johnson, 72.304% (NED)
12. Louise Bell and Into the Blue, 69.717% (GBR)
14. Emile Faurie and Quentano 2, 69.674% (GBR)
17. Thomas Goode and Dior, 69.435% (GBR)
20. Emma Hindle and Diesel 8, 68.978% (GBR)
Grand Prix Special
1. Spencer Wilton and Super Nova II, 76.809% (GBR)
2. Sonnar Murray-Brown and Erlentanz, 74.340% (GBR)
3. Gareth Hughes and KK Woodstock, 73.085% (GBR)
4. Carina Bachmann and Tarantino 5, 72.298% (GER)
5. Diederik van Silfhout and Chardonnay, 71.383% (NED)
8. Emile Faurie and Quentano II, 70.340% (GBR)
11. Emma Hindle and Diesel 8, 68.830% (GBR)
13. Louise Bell and Into the Blue, 67.830% (GBR)
Grand Prix Freestyle
1. Marlies van Baalen and Ben Johnson, 78.155% (NED)
2. Adelinde Cornelissen and Aqiedo, 77.560% (NED)
3. Camille Cheret Judet and Duke of Swing, 75.580% (FRA)
4. Thomas Goode and Dior, 75.410% (GBR)
5. Andrea Timpe and Don Darwin, 73.960% (GBR)
Pony Team Test
1. Sophia Baje Obel Jørgensen and Adriano B, 74.238% (DEN)
2. Evi Van Rooij and King Stayerhof’s Jango, 73.000% (NED)
3. Martha Raupach and Mad Max WE, 71.096% (GER)
4. Jill Bogers and First Hummer, 70.953% (NED)
5. Lara Middelberg and Drink Pink, 70.428% (GER)
19. Ronni-Mae Morgan and DST Carluccio, 64.333% (GBR)
Pony Individual Test
1. Sophia Baje Obel Jørgensen and Adriano B, 74.955% (DEN)
2. Evi Van Rooij and King Stayerhof’s Jango, 72.523% (NED)
3. Clara Paschertz and Da Capo’s Dancing Boy, 72.388% (GER)
4. Martha Raupach and Mad Max WE, 71.081% (GER)
5. Emilie Balling Nissen and Divino van Stal Romano, 70.631% (DEN)
19. Ronni-Mae Morgan and DST Carluccio, 65.180% (GBR)